Do you practice good general dental hygiene? What is general dental hygiene? This refers to the home care and preventive visits you need to make to the dentist every few months. These visits and preventive actions can help protect your smile from the onset of tooth decay and periodontal disease.
Try Our Quiz on General Dental Hygiene
- True or False: You should have a checkup every six months.
- True or False: A cleaning helps prevent gum disease.
- True or False: You need to brush and floss daily.
- True or False: What you eat can impact your oral health.
- True. We agree with the American Dental Association: Everyone, including children, should have a dental exam once every six months. During the visit, we will look at your smile for signs of decay, periodontal disese, or other oral health concerns using digital x-rays, intraoral cameras, and the DIAGNOdent laser system. We can then offer treatment in the early stages to prevent discomfort or complications.
- True. During the same visit, we perform a dental cleaning. Using either an ultrasonic scaler or a manual tool, we will remove plaque from the teeth. We will then polish the tooth for a natural looking appearance. The procedure helps reduce the risk of tooth decay, infection, gingivitis, and gum disease.
- True. You should brush your teeth twice a day, once when you wake up and again before going to bed. You will also need to floss before going to bed. Doing so helps remove food particles and reduce the severity of plaque buildup.
- True. To maintain a healthier smile, we suggest cutting back on foods and rinks high in sugar and other starches. In addition, try adding more fresh fruit and vegetables to your diet. Rougher fruits and veggies, such as apples, broccoli, and carrots, can help remove plaque from the teeth.
Do You Need an Appointment?
You can schedule an appointment so we can help you enjoy a lifetime of healthy and beautiful smiles! For more information about our treatments, from Invisalign braces to dental implants, contact our team today. Schedule a consultation by calling Calcagno Cosmetic and Family Dentistry in Rochester, MN, today at (507) 281-3659.