When you maintain a healthy smile, you can enjoy brighter teeth and a reduced risk of serious oral health concerns, which can range from decay and gingivitis to infection and periodontal disease. How do you improve oral hygiene? What steps can you take to ensure a healthier smile?
Improving Your Oral Hygiene
- Brush Your Teeth Correctly: First, you need to choose the right toothbrush. We suggest one with soft bristles, as hard or medium bristles could actually damage enamel if you brush them tooth hard. You need to brush your teeth twice a day, once in the morning and again before going to bed. Each session should last at least two minutes.
- Floss Each Night: You also need to floss every night before going to bed, without exception. Floss reaches the bits of food caught between teeth that a toothbrush cannot reach. When you floss correctly, you can reduce your risk of gingivitis and tooth decay.
- Cut Back on Sugary Foods: When you consume foods and drinks high in sugar and other starches, bacteria can break down the sugar particles, increasing oral acidity and creating plaque buildup. Since plaque can weaken enamel and inflame the gums, this can boost the chances of cavities or gum disease forming.
- Drink More Water: Sodas contain too much sugar, as do energy drinks. Even sports drinks have such a high acidic content, they can make decay more likely. However, water contains no sugars or acids, which hydrates your body while protecting your teeth. In fact, our tap water contains fluoride, which strengthens the outer enamel against the risk of decay.
- See Your Dentist: You also need to see your dentist for a checkup and cleaning! To make an appointment, give us a call or simply click the button on the left side of the homepage to make an appointment online!
Do You Have Questions About Oral Hygiene?
With improved oral hygiene, you can enjoy a more attractive and healthy smile! For more information about our treatments, from Invisalign braces to dental implants, contact our team today. Schedule a consultation by calling Calcagno Cosmetic and Family Dentistry in Rochester, MN, today at (507) 281-3659.