We tend to focus a lot on the teeth in our dental blog. However, the gums are just as important. After all, poor gum health can hurt smile esthetics and increase the risk of tooth loss, as well as cause a number of uncomfortable symptoms. How do we improve gum health?
Try Our Quiz on Gum Health
- True or False: Soreness and bleeding could be a sign of trouble.
- True or False: A deep cleaning can reverse gum problems.
- True or False: Gum disease has been linked to other health issues.
- True or False: Preventive care can help you avoid gum problems.
- True. Common symptoms of gingivitis and gum disease include soreness sin the gums, a red appearance, or even bleeding when you brush or floss your teeth. If one or all of these symptoms sound familiar, then you should see your dentist right away. Treatment can help prevent the later stage of gum disease, known as periodontitis, which is responsible for adult tooth loss.
- True. We can treat the issue in the early stages with a deep cleaning. Also known as a scaling and root planing, the procedure involves removing all plaque and tartar from the teeth and from the surface of the roots. The procedure can be completed in a single visit, but serve cases may require up to four visits.
- True. Gum disease has long been linked to inflammatory illnesses, even if the how is still being debated. Periodontal disese has been connected to rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, and even heart disease.
- True. To keep your gums healthy, you should see your dentist every six months for a through dental cleaning. We also suggest taking time at home to brush your teeth twice a day and floss once.
Ready to Schedule a Consultation?
We can provide preventive care to help your gums stay health and free of periodontal disease! For more information about our treatments, from Invisalign braces to dental implants, contact our team today. Schedule a consultation by calling Calcagno Cosmetic and Family Dentistry in Rochester, MN, today at (507) 281-3659.