Have you chipped one or more of your teeth? We understand that accidents happen and we are always available to help fix your damaged tooth. We have an array of cosmetic and restorative options for returning the tooth to optimal appearance and function. What should you do after chipping a tooth? What procedure will best address your problem?
Try Our Quiz on Fixing Chipped Teeth
- True or False: A chipped tooth can become decayed.
- True or False: Bonding can fix a damaged tooth.
- True or False: We can place a crown in one visit.
- True or False: You can take steps to alleviate discomfort before seeing your dentist.
- True. Often, a damaged tooth exposes the sensitive inner layers of dentin to harmful bacteria, increasing the likelihood of cavities forming. Patients then experience toothaches, tooth sensitivity, and an elevated chance of infection. As a result, we recommend addressing the problem immediately.
- True. We first clean the tooth and gently etch the surface. We then apply the specially-shaded composite resin material in multiple layers. As the resin cures under a light, we sculpt and mold the tooth. Finally, we polish it for a lifelike appearance. The entire procedure, start to finish, takes one visit.
- True. In some situations, the damage may be severe enough that bonding isn’t the best choice. In these cases, we may place a ceramic crown. Using the CEREC system, we can design and create a crown, placing it in a single visit.
- True. Before seeing the dentist you can take a pain reliever and use a cold compress against the side of the face to reduce swelling. You may also need a piece of gauze to stem any bleeding around the tooth.
If you would like to learn more about fixing a chipped tooth, then schedule a consultation by calling Calcagno Cosmetic and Family Dentistry in Rochester, MN, today at (507) 281-3659.