A brighter smile can help inspire confidence and even make a better impression when meeting new people. However, our teeth often become stained over time due to a variety of factors. Fortunately, there are ways you can help reduce the severity of discoloration from home. In addition, we can always answer your questions about cosmetic dentistry and teeth whitening options.
Help Brighten Your Smile From Home
- Avoid drinks and foods with dark pigments: Foods, such as berries, or drinks, such as coffee, tea, soda, or red wine, contain staining agents known as tannins, which cause discoloration. You drink water afterward to try and remove the staining agents from the teeth or simply cut back on drinks that cause discoloration.
- Cut back on sugary foods/drinks: The sugar in our foods and drinks can be broken down by bacteria, causing an increase in oral acidity and coating the teeth in plaque. Plaque can make stains more apparent.
- Brush daily: Brushing your teeth once in the morning and again before going to bed can help control plaque and remove sugar and other particles from the teeth. You should brush for a minimum of two minutes each session to keep your smile bright.
- Always floss: You should floss your teeth every day before going to bed. Flossing removes the food and sugar caught between teeth. Bristles on a toothbrush may not remove these particles. Flossing is essential for keeping your smile bright. In addition, using floss also reduces the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Stop smoking: When you smoke or use tobacco products your teeth can develop unsightly yellow stains. We recommend patients stop smoking and avoid tobacco products. In addition to discoloration, smoking can also worsen the effects of gum disease and increase the chances of a patient developing oral cancer.