With a new year comes a new chance to maintain a healthy and attractive smile. This year, take the right steps to decrease your risk of common oral health issues, such as tooth decay and gum disease, and help your teeth remain bright. There are a number of ways to keep your smile healthy in 2016. Start your resolution today!
Keep Your Smile Healthy in 2016
- Brush daily: You should brush your teeth twice a day, once in the morning and then again before you go to sleep. You need a toothbrush with soft bristles, as hard bristles can potentially damage enamel. Also, hold the brush at a 45-degree angle and try to reach all available surfaces of the tooth.
- Floss correctly: You should use the floss gently on either side of the teeth. We recommend doing this every night, as flossing reaches food stuck between teeth that brushing alone may not properly address. You may also consider bringing a small container of floss with you for after meals.
- Change what you eat/drink: You should cut back on foods and drinks that contain a lot of sugar and other starches. As bacteria break down the sugar particles, they level of oral acidity increases and the teeth become coated in plaque, which inflames the gums and weakens the protective layer of tooth enamel. Instead, try drinking more water and adding fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, and nuts to your diet in lieu of sugary snacks or foods.
- Have your teeth cleaned: You should see your dentist twice a year for a thorough cleaning, which is the only way to remove plaque buildup from your teeth.
- Recognize potential problems: Remember, pain in your teeth or gums is not normal and may require attention from your dentist. Otherwise, mild discomfort could soon lead to the onset of a serious problem, such as tooth decay, infection, or even gum problems.