Do you want tips for a brighter smile? We all know that a brighter and beautiful array of teeth free of stains is optimal. However, often our daily habits can lead to the onset of serious discoloration. What can we do to avoid stains or prevent the severity of future discoloration?
How To Help Brighten Your Smile
- Brush Daily: You should brush your teeth twice a day, in the morning and again before you go the bed. We suggest purchasing a brush with soft bristles and that carries the ADA seal of approval on the packaging. You should brush all sides of the tooth, the entire process taking about a two minutes. Doing so helps decrease the severity of future discoloration.
- Floss Every Night: Often brushing cannot remove the food caught between the teeth. Flossing can do so, reducing the appearance of plaque buildup. Plaque not only boosts the risk of gum disease, but can also lead to the appearance of teeth stains.
- Cut Back on Sugary Foods/Drinks: Foods and drinks high in sugar and other starches also lead to plaque buildup. We suggest drinking more water and adding fresh fruit and vegetables to your diet in lieu of soda, candy, or chips.
- Avoid Drinks with Dark Pigments: Soda, tea, coffee, and red wine are all popular drinks that lead to unsightly stains in the surface of your teeth. As we mentioned above, drinking more water can help your teeth stay brighter for longer.
- Try Teeth Whitening: If you have stains you would like removed then you can discuss at-home teeth whitening or possibly a restoration (veneers, crowns) to mask the discoloration. Afterward, you can maintain good oral hygiene to keep your teeth brighter for longer periods of time. If you have any questions about brightening your teeth then please contact our office today.