Did you have a tooth that aches when you bite or chew? Do you have wisdom teeth ready to erupt? These are just two examples where actually removing a tooth may be necessary to protect the overall health of your smile. Do you need an extraction? If so, you may be surprised to find out how necessary and comfortable the procedure can be.
Rochester, MN Extraction Quiz
- True or False: An infection may require an extraction.
- True or False: The procedure may be necessary to remove wisdom teeth.
- True or False: The procedure is comfortable.
- True or False: There are tooth replacement options.
- True. When a tooth becomes infected you may experience a number of uncomfortable symptoms, ranging from toothaches to fever or swelling around the tooth. Eventually, the infection may cause the tooth to die, allowing the infection to spread to surrounding teeth and into the jawbone. However, an extraction can prevent this from happening, preserving the health of surrounding teeth.
- True. Also known as third molars, wisdom teeth erupt in the late teens or early 20s. They can cause misalignment or if they only partially erupt, known as impaction, damaged teeth or infection. With extraction we can safely and comfortable remove the teeth before they arrive.
- True. We use local anesthetic and may also suggest dental sedation to ensure the patient remains comfortable during the procedure.
- True. Should you lose a tooth due to damage or infection, there are replacement options. A dental bridge can replace one or more teeth in a row, supported by dental crowns placed on surrounding teeth. A dental implant can also be used to restore lost teeth. If you have any questions about tooth removal or replacement, then please contact our office today.
ABOUT YOUR ROCHESTER, MN DENTISTS:
Calcagno Cosmetic and Family Dentistry offer expert services including teeth whitening, Six Month Smiles, Invisalign, root canals, and CEREC crowns. To schedule a consultation, please call (507) 218-8936. Dr. Gilly Calcagno and Dr. Kara Heimer welcome and serve patients from Rochester, Red Wing, St. Charles, Winona, Farmington, Austin, and the surrounding communities.