Throughout the month of June our office will be recognizing National Smile Month. Along with other practices across the nation we are raising awareness of what maintaining a healthy and beautiful smile requires. Join us in celebrating National Smile Month by taking the steps to improve the function, health, and overall appearance of your smile.
Tips for Improving Your Oral health During National Smile Month
- Brush daily: You should select a soft bristled brush and brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes per session. Doing so can remove bits of food and bacteria, reducing the risk of tooth decay and decreasing the severity of plaque buildup.
- Floss regularly: In addition, we suggest you floss at least once a day, preferably before going to bed. Flossing can remove the food caught between teeth that brushing alone can’t reach. Doing so minimizes the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Eat healthier snacks: If you cut back on food and drinks high in sugar and other starches you can promote a healthier, brighter smile free of cavities or periodontal disease. We suggest drinking more water and choosing healthy snack alternatives, like fresh fruit, vegetables, low fat yogurt, or sugar-free gum.
- Avoid soda: Drinking soda, energy drinks, or even sports drinks can expose your teeth to high levels of acid and sugar. In fact, sports drinks often weaken enamel, increasing the chances of developing cavities. Water keeps you hydrated, contains no sugar, and improves your health.
- See your dentist twice a year: By seeing your dentist for a checkup and cleaning twice a year you can remove plaque and allow a professional to identify the earliest warning signs of potential dental health issues, improving your overall oral health. If you have any questions about cleanings or checkups then please contact our office today.
ABOUT YOUR ROCHESTER, MN DENTISTS:
Calcagno Cosmetic and Family Dentistry offer expert services including teeth whitening, Six Month Smiles, Invisalign, root canals, and pediatric dentistry. To schedule a consultation, please call (507) 218-8936. Dr. Gilly Calcagno and Dr. Kara Heimer welcome and serve patients from Rochester, Red Wing, St. Charles, Winona, Farmington, Austin, and the surrounding communities.