This month we are focusing on the importance of routine oral cancer screenings. A regular screening allows the dentist to look for potential warning signs, allowing you to start treatment early. How often should you have an oral cancer screening?
Oral Cancer Screening Quiz
- True or False: April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month.
- True or False: You should have a screening at least once a year.
- True or False: Any sudden changes or discomfort in your mouth may be a warning sign.
- True or False: We are offering free screenings all month.
- True. During the month of April medical professionals across the country will be recognizing Oral Cancer Awareness Month. We want to make sure our patients are aware of the importance of a screening. Over 45,000 people are diagnosed each year, with over half of those diagnosed passing away as a result of the disease within five years. The cause of the high mortality rate is typically attributed to the fact that the disease is rarely caught in the early stages.
- True. When you have an oral cancer screening the doctor can look for any signs of possible cancerous or precancerous areas. Should anything be discovered a biopsy will be recommended for a thorough diagnosis. Catching the disease in the early stages is essential for improving the odds of recovery.
- True. If you notice sore or rough areas that won’t heal, unexplained bleeding, red and white patches, hoarseness, or pain when eating or swallowing then we recommend a diagnosis right away. Risk factors include smoking, being over 55, excessive drinking, and genetics.
- True. During the month of April you can undergo a free screening. Simply contact our office today.
ABOUT YOUR ROCHESTER MN DENTISTS:
Calcagno Cosmetic and Family Dentistry offer expert services including dental implants, Six Month Smiles, pediatric dentistry, root canals, and teeth whitening in Rochester MN. To schedule a consultation, please call (507) 218-8936. Dr. Gilly Calcagno and Dr. Kara Heimer welcome and serve patients from Rochester, Red Wing, St. Charles, Winona, Farmington, Austin, and the surrounding communities.