Did know that over 64.7 million people in the United States exhibit the warning signs of periodontal disease? That means half of all adults over the age of 30 suffer from the symptoms of this serious oral health issue. However, few people realize how easily gum disease can be prevented. Wondering how you can avoid gum disease?
Gum Disease Prevention Quiz in Rochester, MN
- True or False: Poor oral hygiene can lead to periodontal disease.
- True or False: A regular cleaning can help prevent gum disease.
- True or False: Periodontitis can lead to adult tooth loss.
- True or False: We can treat the issue in the early stages with a deep cleaning.
- True. Periodontal disease develops when bacteria causes gum inflammation. One of the major causes of this inflammation is plaque buildup. When we don’t brush or floss, bacteria can break down sugar and other food particles, coating teeth in plaque in the process. The plaque irritates the gums, causing inflammation.
- True. When you have your teeth cleaned, the doctor or a hygienist will completely remove plaque from the teeth. Brushing and flossing alone cannot remove all plaque. The cleaned leaves your teeth smooth, bright, and reduces the chances of developing periodontal disease.
- True. Once gum disease reaches the advanced stages, known as periodontitis, the connective tissue between the teeth and gums may dissolve. As a result, adults may loose their permanent teeth.
- True. In the early stages, the issue can be treated with a deep cleaning. This involves using an ultrasonic scaler to remove plaque from the surface of the teeth. Then we will perform a root planing, in which we remove plaque that buildups on the root surface. Doing so can stop the progression of periodontal disease.
ABOUT YOUR ROCHESTER MN COSMETIC DENTISTS:
Calcagno Cosmetic and Family Dentistry offer expert services including dental implants, Six Month Smiles, pediatric dentistry, root canals, and teeth whitening in Rochester MN. To schedule a consultation, please call (507) 218-8936. Dr. Gilly Calcagno and Dr. Kara Heimer welcome and serve patients from Rochester, Red Wing, St. Charles, Winona, Farmington, Austin, and the surrounding communities.