Do you feel major discomfort when you bite or chew? If so, then you may require endodontic treatment. When a tooth develops an infection or dental abscess, treatment is essential to avoid extraction. Fortunately, with root canal therapy, we can return your tooth to optimal health. Let’s look at the benefits of a root canal.
Root Canal Therapy Quiz
- True or False: A variety of factors can lead to a dental infection.
- True or False: Toothaches and swelling may be warning signs of an infection or abscess.
- True or False: A root canal is a safe and comfortable procedure.
- True or False: We can place a same-day crown to restore the tooth.
- True. An infection occurs once bacteria can reach the pulp at the center of the tooth. The pulp oversees the transfer of blood and nutrients to and from the tooth, keeping it alive and healthy. Bactria can gain access to the pulp via an injury that exposes the inner tooth structure, chronic teeth grinding, or advanced tooth decay.
- True. Patients with an infection or abscess may encounter tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures, swelling around the tooth, toothaches, fever, and pain when chewing. A foul tasting discharge may also be present. If you encounter these symptoms, then contact a dental professional right away.
- True. We begin the procedure by administering a local anesthetic and possible sedation to ensure patients remain calm and comfortable. We then open the tooth and remove any infected tissue. From there, the tooth will be filled with a restorative filling. Finally, we top the tooth with a dental crown.
- True. Our crowns are fabricated from a block of ceramic and designed to look natural Using CEREC technology, we can create and place a crown in a single day.
ABOUT YOUR ROCHESTER MN GENERAL DENTISTS:
Calcagno Cosmetic and Family Dentistry offer expert services including dental implants, Six Month Smiles, pediatric dentistry, root canals, and teeth whitening in Rochester MN. To schedule a consultation, please call (507) 218-8936. Dr. Gilly Calcagno and Dr. Kara Heimer welcome and serve patients from Rochester, Red Wing, St. Charles, Winona, Farmington, Austin, and the surrounding communities.