Do you have questions about receiving dental implants? This unique dental prosthesis offers a secure and long lasting alternative to other common tooth replacement options. However, the process of placing them can be quite different than dentures or dental bridges. Find out what you need to know about receiving dental implants.
Who Qualifies for Dental Implants?
Can anyone have this unique dental prosthesis? In order to qualify, patients must have:
- One or more missing teeth
- Gums free of periodontal disease (Otherwise, implants may fail)
- Adequate amounts of jawbone tissue to support the surgical placement
If you meet these criteria, you may be an excellent candidate for this procedure. We will carefully exam your smile, employing intraoral cameras and digital x-rays, to assess the health of your smile. We can then decide if you will benefit from this treatment option.
What are the Benefits of Implants?
Why consider this option instead of dental bridges or dentures? There are a number of advantages, including:
- Implants replace both portions of the tooth, which stimulates jawbone growth and helps avoid the aged appearance that often accompanies tooth loss.
- This option can last for up to 25 years and in some cases, even longer. Bridges only last about 10-15 years and dentures may require adjustment every 5-10 years.
- Unlike dentures, this option will not slip when eating or speaking and does not require adhesives to hold in place
If you have any questions about the placement of dental implants or the benefits, please don’t hesitate to contact out office today.
Receiving a Secure Prosthesis
First, we will surgically insert a titanium post into the jaw. Titanium is biocompatible, so the body accepts the implant as a natural tooth and bonds with it. The area will then need to heal for around three to four months. After this period ends, we will complete the implant by adding an abutment, which holds a dental crown in place.
ABOUT YOUR ROCHESTER MN DENTISTS:
Calcagno Cosmetic and Family Dentistry offer expert services including dental implants, Six Month Smiles, pediatric dentistry, root canals, and teeth whitening in Rochester MN. To schedule a consultation, please call (507) 218-8936. Dr. Gilly Calcagno and Dr. Kara Heimer welcome and serve patients from Rochester, Red Wing, St. Charles, Winona, Farmington, Austin, and the surrounding communities.