For patients who suffer from chronic headaches or migraines, relief never seems to come quickly enough. While over-the-counter pain relievers and rest is typically the go-to treatment method, sometimes eating certain foods proves just as effective to alleviate your discomfort.
In today’s post, Dr. Gilly Calcagno, your Rochester, MA dentist explains which foods cure headaches with ease.
To Alleviate Headaches, Try Some of These Foods
- Salad. For patients who experience many headaches, it may have something to do with dehydration. Though you can choose to drink water, this may take a while to work. Instead, try eating a salad. Many of the ingredients in salads, such as, lettuce and cucumbers have plenty of water. Plus, salads contain a number of vitamins to help you re-energize.
- Spicy foods. Oftentimes, headaches stem congestion due to allergies or general illnesses. Should this apply to you, try eating something spicy to clear those nasal passages. Simply add a bit of cayenne pepper powder to a soup or stew dish to clear sinuses and alleviate your headache.
- Bananas. Increasing your magnesium and potassium levels gets rid of those stubborn headaches. An easy way to elevate those levels is by eating a banana, as per your Rochester, MA dentist’s suggestion.
- Salmon. Eating foods filled with omega-3’s, like salmon, is a great way to relieve headaches, due to its inflammatory fighting abilities. You can also find omega-3’s in olive oil, avocados, and other types of fish, such as, sardines.
- Mushrooms. If you’re suffering from a headache, try eating some mushrooms, which have high amounts of vitamin B2, also called, riboflavin. Sometimes, if B2 levels drop, patients can experience headaches. Yet, if you’re not a fan of mushrooms, you can reap the same benefits from eating broccoli, spinach, and even fortified cereals.
Calcagno Family Dentistry Offers Headache Relief Treatments
If you would like more information about nutrition and headache relief, talk to Dr. Calcagno. She can explain which foods trigger headaches and why. To schedule an appointment with our Rochester, MA dental practice, call us at (507) 281-3659. Also, visit our website for services, before and after photos, and testimonials. We look forward to treating patients from Red Wing, St. Charles, Winona, Farmington and surrounding communities.