A toothache can be a painful and irritating problem. Thankfully, your Rochester dentist, Dr. Gilly Calcagno, can diagnose the cause of your aching tooth and recommend immediate treatment. In today’s blog, Dr. Calcagno discusses the importance of treating a toothache as soon as possible.
1. True or False: If you have a persistent toothache, you should call your Rochester MN general dentist right away.
2. True or False: A toothache can be a symptom of a serious dental problem.
3. True or False: Without treatment, tooth decay can lead to a painful infection.
4. True or False: Routine dental habits help prevent toothaches.
1. True. A toothache lasting longer than 24 hours may be a symptom of a larger dental problem. When you notice a toothache, first rinse with warm water and gently floss on either side of the aching tooth to ensure the pain isn’t a result of something lodged between the teeth. Then, apply a cold compress to control swelling and contact Dr. Calcagno. Never apply aspirin directly to the gums as this may cause a burning sensation.
2. True. Often, a toothache is the first sign of tooth decay.
3. True. The cavity will continue to spread and eventually, may reach the inner pulp. When this happens, a dental infection can set in. Over time, the infection may lead to a dental abscess or even kill the tooth. When this happens, the tooth will need to be removed to prevent the spread of infection.
4. True. You should always brush your teeth twice a day and floss at least once. Rinse with an antibacterial mouthwash as well. These simple steps help cleanse the mouth of harmful bacteria and stray food particles, aiding in the prevention of toothaches.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Rochester MN General Dentist
Do you have any further questions regarding the causes and treatment options for addressing toothaches? Then talk to your Rochester, MN general dentist, Dr. Calcagno, today. Dr. Calcagno will diagnose the cause and assess the severity of your toothache and recommend the most appropriate treatment. To schedule an appointment, call our 55902 dentist office at (507) 281-3659. Also, visit our website for services, before and after photos, and testimonials. Dr. Calcagno offers patients the latest in general, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry. We are proud to serve the residents of Red Wing, St. Charles, Winona, Farmington and surrounding communities.