Thanks to the advancements of dental professionals throughout history, people today have access to excellent oral healthcare and preventive dental procedures. Today, we can detect tooth decay in its earliest stages with advanced technology. None of these modern advancements in dentistry would be possible without the dedication and research of dentists in history. Dr. Gilly Calcagno and our team at Calcagno Cosmetic & Family Dentistry discuss famous dentists.
Famous Dentists of the Past
- The first authoritative American journal on modern dentistry was written by Chapin Harris. Dentists throughout the United States contributed to subsequent publications.
- The French dentist, Pierre Fauchard is often referred to as the “Father of Modern Dentistry”. His extensive research and book “The Surgeon Dentist” was used for centuries.
- Nitrous oxide was first used by Horace Wells. He administered nitrous oxide to patients as a mild anesthetic.
- “Doc” Holliday was a dentist before he became a professional gambler in the Old West. After obtaining his degree from the Pennsylvania College of Dentistry, Doc Holliday opened a dental practice in Dallas, Texas.
- Fluoride was first advocated by the Englishman, Sir James Crichton Browne to prevent dental caries.
Top-Notch Cosmetic and Family Dentistry in Rochester
From porcelain veneers to placing white crowns, Dr. Calcagno can improve the appearance of any smile. At our Rochester dentist office, we use state of the art technology such as CEREC one day crowns, digital X-rays, and advanced cavity detection tools. We also provide preventive children’s dentistry such as fluoride supplements and dental sealants. For all your family’s dental needs, consider calling on Calcagno Cosmetic & Family Dentistry.
To schedule an appointment, contact our Rochester dentist office at (507) 281-3659. We serve patients from Red Wing, Winona, St. Charles, Hastings, Farmington, and the surrounding Rochester communities.